Saturday, January 7, 2012

IN THE SPOTLIGHT: PALOMA RABINOV


Paloma Rabinov
A big congratulations to Paloma Rabinov, a student of mine who was just admitted to the Drama Program at NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts. At the age of seventeen, Paloma has already long dedicated herself to the hard work and discipline needed to become an exemplary performer. Her father Paul arranged for private coaching with me prior to her audition for Tisch, and she threw herself into our sessions with enthusiasm. As Paul points out, “Her acceptance validated for her that hard work properly directed can produce desired results . . . She went to New York (for her audition) better prepared and more confident.”

“I've always been interested in the performing arts, especially in acting,” Paloma says, “because it allows me to become someone I’m not.” Paloma shows a depth of perspective uncharacteristic in one so young when she discusses the gifts that the study of acting has brought to her life: “Through the years I realized that acting has taught me to be more empathetic with people and understand different points of view that I wouldn't be able to experience normally as myself.  Even if I don't become a professional actor I think those are some of the most important skills I've learned throughout my training.” When asked for an example of where this idea has come from in her studies, Paloma points to her work on the part of Karen Wright in Lillian Hellman's The Children's Hour. “Her ideals were so much different than my own that I almost despised that she acted the way she did,” says Paloma, “But it really forced me to connect with a person that I barely had any similarities to and make her a part of me.”

About to graduate from Crescenta Valley Senior High School, Paloma started studying at the age of 10, and is thrilled to be going to New York to take her studies to the next level. “It is a dream come true to have gotten into Tisch. I think New York is the best place to become a part of the theater world and I cannot wait to get a first-hand look at what it is like.” As her father says, “Paloma’s mother and I are thrilled for Paloma, and very proud of the effort she made.” As are we all. Break a leg in New York, Paloma!

No comments:

Post a Comment