Saturday, May 14, 2011

BITTEN BY THE BUG AT 91

     Viola Flugge has an unquenchable thirst for learning and new experiences. At the age of 91, she indulged this characteristic by taking her first acting classes, which recently led to a performance of a one act two-hander. She was an unqualified hit. "When I moved to California from the Midwest I had no idea I would be bitten by the acting bug. It was the last thing on my mind! When I learned that there were acting classes at the senior apartments where I live, I thought 'Why not give it a try?'"
     Raised on a farm, where her family didn't have much money, Viola didn't have the opportunity to go to college. She worked, married, raised children, and now, at an age when most people might just want to take it easy, Viola says "Let's go!" About the acting class, Viola says "Matthew understands what you can do and helps you do it better."
     Taking an acting class was actually pretty low key for the active Viola. At 84, she learned to fly, and a profile of her adventure was featured in Jerry Dahmen's I Love Life, The Real Survivors, Pine Hill Press 2005.
     As if flying wasn't enough, Viola also has a passion for fishing, learned how to play the organ in her eighties, and confesses that although she can't drive motorcycles, she loves to ride on them. I have to confess that I recently got my motorcycle license, and while I'd love to write more about Viola and her adventurous spirit, I think instead I'll borrow my friend's bike and go take her out for a spin. I'm sure she could teach me a thing or two about "going for it".

1 comment:

  1. Good article. Looking forward to seeing you write a lot more about this topic.
    Acting Competitions

    ReplyDelete